If you are retiring, you are encouraged to start the transition process as early 24 months prior to you anticipated retirement date. You are required by law, to start it no later than 365 days prior to your anticipated retirement date. You will be required to attend all courses and accomplish specific Career Readiness Standards (CRS) tasks based on tier, your tier is established during your Initial Transition Counseling.
Transitioning from the military requires the following:
- Initial Transition Counseling (appointment to establish tier and required courses)
- Attend a Transition workshop
- MOC Crosswalk, Managing Your Transition Financial Planning, ITP Review, Day 1 (mandatory for ALL)
- VA Benefits Briefing, Day 2 (mandatory for ALL)
- Employment Fundamentals, Day 3 (mandatory for ALL)
- Attend a two day track; Department of Labor Employment Workshop, Vocational Track, Boots to Business, Higher Education Track (mandatory for personnel assigned as Tier 3)
- Attend a Capstone Appointment to complete a EForm DD Form 2648, sign it electronically, and then it will be forwarded to you Commander for electronic signature
Click the links below for more information on:
- Pre-Separation Counseling Briefings
- Transition GPS Workshops
- Transition GPS Tracks (optional)
- Capstone Appointment
- Transition Briefings/Workshops Calendar
Additionally, when you retire, your status with TRICARE changes. Be sure to visit their web site (http://www.tricare.mil/LifeEvents/Retiring.aspx) for information on what you need to accomplish prior to your retirement date.