If you are retiring, you are encouraged to start the transition process as early 24 months prior to you anticipated retirement date. You are required by law, to start it no later than 90 days prior, but that won’t leave you much time to accomplish all the Career Readiness Standards (CRS) tasks that are required.
Transitioning from the military requires the following:
- Attending a Pre-Separation Counseling Briefing to complete an EForm DD Form 2648
- Attend a Transition GPS 5 day workshop
- MOC Crosswalk, Financial Planning, ITP Review, Day 1 (mandatory for ALL)
- VA Benefits Briefing, Day 2 (mandatory for ALL)
- DOL Employment Workshop, Day 3-5 (mandatory for ALL)
- Attend a Capstone Appointment to complete a EForm DD Form 2648, sign it electronically, and then it will be forwarded to you Commander for electronic signature
Click the links below for more information on:
- Pre-Separation Counseling Briefings
- Transition GPS Workshops
- Transition GPS Tracks (optional)
- Capstone Appointment
- Transition Briefings/Workshops Calendar
An additional task Retirees have is to complete a Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) Briefing. Visit our SBP page for more information.
Additionally, when you retire, your status with TRICARE changes. Be sure to visit their web site (http://www.tricare.mil/LifeEvents/Retiring.aspx) for information on what you need to accomplish prior to your retirement date.