If you are separating involuntarily, (either in a Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) process, Administrative Discharge or Judicial Discharge) you are encouraged to start the transition process as soon as you become aware of these circumstances.
Even if you don’t end up getting separated under these circumstances, it is a good idea to at least complete the Initial Transition Counseling and Pre-Separation Briefing. This counseling appointment and the EForm DD Form 2648 completed during the briefing does not lock you into separating, but allows you to get into the Transition Workshop as soon as possible. Additionally, the Initial Transition Counseling, Pre-Separation Briefing and Transition Workshops should be completed no later than 365 days prior to your anticipated date of separation.
Even though you are involuntarily separating, you are still required to complete the following Career Readiness Standards (CRS) tasks:
- Initial Transition Counseling
- Attending a Pre-Separation Counseling Briefing to complete an EForm DD Form 2648
- Attend a Transition Workshop 3 day workshop
- MOC Crosswalk, Financial Planning, ITP Review, Day 1 (mandatory for ALL)
- VA Benefits Briefing, Day 2 (mandatory for ALL)
- Employment Fundamentals, Day 3 (mandatory for ALL)
- Attend a 2 day workshop; Department of Labor Employment Workshop, Higher Education Track, Vocational Track or Boots to Business (mandatory for Tier 3)
- Attend a Capstone Appointment to complete your EForm DD Form 2648, sign it electronically, and then it will be forwarded to your Commander for electronic signature.
Click the links below for more information on: