The Microsoft HUP is designed to help increase employee productivity and satisfaction, while also maximizing the value of the Air Force’s investment in Microsoft Office software. Eligible employees may obtain a licensed copy of qualifying Microsoft Office software to install and use on their home computer. We trust you will enjoy this benefit and look forward to your participation. Please remember that participation in this program is voluntarily and is between you and Microsoft. The Air Force is not to be held responsible for any damage to your computer, or loss of data that may occur.
What is the HUP?
The HUP allows eligible Air Force and Air Force sponsored organizations (STRATCOM, NORTHCOM, TRANSCOM, Washington Headquarters Services, Office of Secretary of Defense, and Joint Staff Headquarters) personnel to order a licensed copy of select Microsoft Office desktop applications to install and use on their home computer. For each product eligible for the HUP for which you are a licensed user with active software assurance coverage, you may order a single copy of that product to install and use on your home computer. You may continue using this HUP software while you are under AF employment and as long as the software you use at work has active software assurance coverage. Employees can order the product(s) directly through a secure, Microsoft-hosted e-commerce site.
Can I buy more than one copy?
HUP restricts users to purchase only one copy of a particular product Version. Authorized users who purchased Office 2013 Professional Plus are able to buy the new version. For each product sold in HUP, the user may install it on a single primary device. The current agreement with Microsoft now allows a user to purchase both the Windows and Mac versions of Office 2016.
The HUP program Office license has aligned with the Microsoft single use consumer Office 365 and Office Pro Plus licensing model. For $69.99 a year, military families can get Office 365 for 5 devices and 5 mobile devices. That is $30.00 off the list price. Learn more here. Purchase Office 365 at your Exchange.
Military members and family save 10% in the Microsoft Store.
What are the Requirements for Office 2016?
Office 2016 requires Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1, a CPU that operates at least 1 GHz in speed, 2 GB of memory, and at least 3 GB of available hard drive space.
Can I buy Windows or other Microsoft Products?
Microsoft discontinued their Employee Purchase Program in November 2010. There are no special purchasing programs to purchase Microsoft Windows or other non-Office products.
Who is Covered?
Personnel eligible to participate in this program include Air Force active duty military personnel, Air Force sponsored organizations, Air National Guard personnel, Air Force Reserve personnel, Air Force Civil Service personnel, Air Force contractor and Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC) personnel working on Air Force installations with Government Furnished Equipment (GFE), and Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) (specifically, NAF personnel that work essentially “appropriated fund” activities such as back office finance people that integrate to Air Force finance applications and to their command and control people that interface with other appropriated fund activities on deployment of services capabilities rather than those activities that are POS (Point of Sales) or related to patron use (e.g., MWR customer desk). The Army and Defense Information Systems Agency are also participants in the Microsoft Joint Enterprise License Agreement (JELA), but will have their own HUP program codes.
Who is Not Covered?
Organizations not covered under the Microsoft JELA are the military services’ Academy and Reserve Officer Training Corp cadets, Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Navy (which has a separate Enterprise License Agreement (ELA) contract), and the National Reconnaissance Office (which also has a separate ELA contract).
What Software is Covered?
Software available through the HUP includes Office Professional Plus (for PC) and Office for Mac. Office Professional Plus includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, SharePoint Workspace, Publisher, Access, and InfoPath. Access and Publisher are not available in Office for Mac.
Visio and Project are also available through the home use program, but quantities are limited to only those individuals who have software assurance upgrade rights for the licenses being used on their work computer. Please do not order if you do not meet this qualification. Microsoft limits the number of copies of Visio and Project made available through HUP to the number of Air Force licenses. Once that threshold is reached, then Visio and Project will no longer be available.
What are the HUP License Costs, Terms, and Conditions?
No additional cost is required except a fee of $9.95, which the employee pays. If users elect to receive the software on media/CD, then during the checkout process they must add the backup media for $15.95 and pay for shipping and handling as well as tax. The HUP license is a term, non-perpetual license. The Air Force is required to limit HUP access to eligible employees and inform employees of conditions requiring discontinued use of HUP.
As of 9 Feb 2017, the “Order History” link on the HUP website will now provide activation keys and download links for products purchased under the Microsoft Joint Enterprise License Agreement prior to 1 Nov 16.
How Do I Get Started?
1. Visit the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP), Microsoft E-Learning and Training page on the AF Portal and obtain the program code. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE PROGRAM CODE. DO NOT CALL OUR CENTER TO OBTAIN THE CODE!
2. After obtaining the code, visit the Microsoft Home Use Program website at http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx.
3. To sign in, enter your Email-4-Career (@us.af.mil) e-mail address and the program code. (Again, to obtain the program code you need to log-on to the Air Force Portal and search for the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) page.) Do not share the program code.
4. Select the country the software is being purchased from.
5. To verify your identity, a confirmation notice will be sent to your work e-mail address. Upon receipt, please read the instructions in the e-mail and click on the link provided. You will be taken to a secure site where you can complete your order of Home Use Program licensed software.
6. Select whether you are ordering Office Professional Plus (for PC) or Office for Mac. You may only order one of these products.
7. On the checkout page you may specify delivery of a backup DVD at additional cost (recommended).
8. Complete the checkout process and make payment with your personal credit card.
9. The order confirmation page will include the product installation key. Please print this page and keep it for your records. Microsoft will not provide the installation key with the backup DVD and you may need to reinstall the application in the future in case of hard drive failure or using a replacement computer.
10. Please forward the download link to your home and download the software image there.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
1. Employees may only order software identical to what is legally used on their government computer (or the Mac variant of that software).
2. Employees may only use this software while employed by the Air Force or Air Force sponsored organization.
3. HUP products may only be used as long as the Air Force pays for software assurance for government-owned products.
4. HUP is not a benefit to buy low-cost software for family members.
5. Setup and installation support is provided for software purchased through the HUP. Please refer to the support documentation included with your product for more information.
6. Microsoft does not accept returns on software purchased through the HUP.
7. End user license terms for software products acquired through the HUP are an agreement between Microsoft and the individual employee.