The 74th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is officially next week from Monday, August 4th through Sunday, August 10th. If you haven’t already noticed increased traffic on I-90 yet, you will as Rally goers begin pouring into the Black Hills region.
Last year the rally had an estimated attendance of 467,338. Even if you aren’t going up to Sturgis you will be affected by the Rally. Tourist sites from the Badlands to Devil’s Tower and throughout the Black Hills, as well as restaurants, bars, or anything you think of as entertainment will be packed. HAVE PATIENCE!
The Rally is the experience of a lifetime. Visiting exhibitors can show you anything and everything you’d want or need to dress you up or dress up your bike. Or demo virtually every kind of bike on the market – custom, V-Twin or metric. In addition to the bikes there are concerts and races and bike shows, five blocks of Sturgis’s Main Street bikes-only street vibe, organized rides, and custom legends.
If you are new to the area or have never gone to the Rally, check it out, but be prepared for traffic and a lot of people.
Here are a few tips to survive the Rally:
- If you are going, have a plan. (Have a designated driver!)
- There are no open containers allowed in Sturgis
- Pay attention to the signs that say NO PARKING and the curbs that are painted yellow. If you park by these you will be towed and walking to the impound yard to pay to get your ride back.
- Look out for motorcycles, not all of them are looking out for you
- Pay attention to speed limits in all areas
- Again, HAVE PATIENCE!
If you think this year is crowded, next year is projected to be even more crowded as the 75th anniversary!