The Ellsworth AFB Airman & Family Readiness Center will be closed on Thursday, 28 November for Thanksgiving and also on Friday, 29 November for the ACC Family Day.
For emergency Air Force Aid Society requests, please contact the Command Post at 385-3800.
Miami Dolphins scandal has lessons for Service members
Commentary by Col. Quinn Gummel
9th Reconnaissance Wing vice commander
11/14/2013 - BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Last week, Jonathan Martin, an offensive lineman on the Miami Dolphins football team, walked out and quit the team due to a perceived hostile work environment, allegedly characterized by demeaning, racially-biased communications and financial extortion by at least one team captain, and other senior members of the team. Though a lot of details are yet unknown, the events thus far are sufficient to provide a lesson for our own military community.
Like a professional sports team, our Air Force is comprised of motivated people, held to a high threshold of performance, where teamwork is essential to success. How does a professional athlete, who has passed so many hurdles, and is presumably fulfilling a dream to participate at the height of his profession suddenly up and quit? We might ask ourselves what would drive a dedicated and professionally fulfilled Airman, proudly serving our nation, to become similarly disenchanted.
Let’s start at the top. Like a Head Coach or General Manager, commanders…
Click here to read the rest of Col. Gummel’s Commentary
Visit our Veterans Day 2013 page for the list of establishments in the local area offering discounts and freebies to Veterans and Active Duty members on Veteran’s Day, Monday, November 11.
It is not an all inclusive list, but a list of those we were able to confirm.
No Federal Endorsement is Intended.
Daylight saving time will end with a “fall back” to standard time on Sunday, November 3, at 2 a.m. Don’t forget to turn you clocks back on Saturday night before you go to bed so that you can enjoy the extra hour on Sunday morning.
Below is a link to a good article from National Geographic about Daylight Saving Time:
Daylight Saving Time 2013: When Does It End? And Why?.
The civilians at your Airman & Family Readiness Center were recalled from the shutdown furlough. However, due to the recent weather events, not all of us are back today, but will be soon.
As we get back to work, please be patient with us as we get caught up on work. With that in mind, until Friday, October 11th, our office hours will be open for walk-ins from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Starting on Tuesday, October 15th our hours will return to normal.
- We were supposed to be having a Transition Assistance Program workshop this week. It had to be canceled due to the furlough. At this time we do not have any information or a plan worked out as to when those due to attend this week will be rescheduled.
- Our Basic Saving & Investing workshop scheduled for Thursday, October 10th was also canceled due to the furlough. It will not be rescheduled.
- Our next Pre-Separation Counseling Briefing is scheduled for Tuesday, October 15th. (Please note that Monday, October 14th is a Federal Holiday)
- You are still encouraged to call our office to register for all briefings/workshops and appointments.
- For all those separating and retiring, it is your responsibility to ensure you complete the congressionally mandated pre-separation counseling briefing no less that 90 days prior to your date of separation/retirement. Additionally the Transition Assistance Program workshop (now call Transition GPS) is also now mandatory. PLAN AHEAD!
- Retirees, you also have the additional task of completing a Survivor Benefit Plan one on one briefing before you retire. Again, PLAN AHEAD!
- We will be holding the Heart Link Spouse Orientation on Monday, October 21st. The schedule of events will be changed and we will get information about that out as soon as we have it finalized. Since we provide lunch, it is important to register if you plan on attending. Please call 385-4663 to register no later than Wednesday, October 16th.
We appreciate your patience during our absence.
While the Airman & Family Readiness Center is here to help the Ellsworth AFB Community, please keep in mind that we are severely affected in the Federal Government shutdown. Our staff of 10 includes 8 APF civilians and none were considered essential. This will leave 2 military members in the office.
Due to this, our office will be closed to walk-ins and providing limited services by appointment only.
Services available will include:
- Short Notice Pre-Separations (Admin/Judicial Discharges Only)
- Pre-Deployment & Reintegration Briefings
- Support services for Family Members of Deployed/Remote Members
- Air Force Aid assistance will be provided by appointment only (see the Financial Assistance section in our Government Shutdown pages)
- If you are already scheduled for a workshop, you will be contacted via email as to whether the workshop will be held as scheduled
In order to schedule an appointment, please call 385-4663. Please be sure to leave a clear message with your name, contact number, and reason for appointment.
During the shutdown, you should be able to access our web site (http://ellsworthafrc.org). However, our web site and our social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter and other sites – would not be updated after Oct. 1 until the shutdown is over.
We have created a Government Shutdown page on our web site for shutdown specific information: http://ellsworthafrc.org/government-shutdown-fy2014
We regret the inconvenience.