Attention to all Women, Infants, Children (WIC) participants:
During that time, we will be providing services out of our Rapid City office located at 909 East St. Patrick Street. You can reach Colleen at that office by calling 394-5155 or 394-2516.
For more information on the WIC program, go to: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/women-infants-and-children-wic
From the 28th Bomb Wing: Base and area residents can expect to hear explosions, see large plumes of smoke and low-flying aircraft during a close air support demonstration practice on Ellsworth Air Force Base, Wednesday, August 12th.
Residents may experience an increased noise level related to the low-flying aircraft and the explosion during the practice and the base’s airshow August 15th and 16th, but should not be alarmed.
Airshow guests will be able to watch the CAS demonstration, designed to showcase the type of support B-1 aircrews have provided in Southwest Asia for nearly 15 years, both days of the event.
For more information, call the 28th Bomb Wing Public Affairs Office at (605) 385-5056.
The 75th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is officially next week from Monday, August 3rd through Sunday, August 9th. If you haven’t already noticed increased traffic on I-90 yet, you will as Rally goers begin pouring into the Black Hills region.
Last year the rally had an estimated attendance of 390,693. Even if you aren’t going up to Sturgis you will be affected by the Rally. Tourist sites from the Badlands to Devil’s Tower and throughout the Black Hills, as well as restaurants, bars, or anything you think of as entertainment will be packed. HAVE PATIENCE!
The Rally is the experience of a lifetime. Visiting exhibitors can show you anything and everything you’d want or need to dress you up or dress up your bike. Or demo virtually every kind of bike on the market – custom, V-Twin or metric. In addition to the bikes there are concerts and races and bike shows, five blocks of Sturgis’s Main Street bikes-only street vibe, organized rides, and custom legends.
If you are new to the area or have never gone to the Rally, check it out, but be prepared for traffic and a lot of people.
Here are a few tips to survive the Rally:
- If you are going, have a plan. (Have a designated driver!)
- There are no open containers allowed in Sturgis
- Pay attention to the signs that say NO PARKING and the curbs that are painted yellow. If you park by these you will be towed and walking to the impound yard to pay to get your ride back.
- Look out for motorcycles, not all of them are looking out for you
- Pay attention to speed limits and additional stop signs in all areas
- Again, HAVE PATIENCE!
South Dakota Motorcycle Driving Laws
- Every motorcycle must be equipped with at least one but no more than two headlamps..
- All persons under the age of 18 must wear motorcycle safety helmets that are approved by the South Dakota Department of Transportation.
- A person riding in an enclosed cab attached to a motorcycle does not have to wear a safety helmet.
- A motorcycle operator must wear an eye protective device unless the motorcycle is equipped with a windscreen of sufficient height and design that protects the motorcycle operator. When headlights are required to be on, a motorcycle operator cannot wear protective eye devices that are tinted or shaded to reduce the light transmission of the device below 35 percent.
- Motorcycles must have at least one tail lamp, which when lighted emits a red light visible for a distance of 500 feet.
- Noise Limits: Every motorcycle must at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
What will bad behavior cost you? (also factor in costs to your career)
- Indecent Exposure – $111
- Open Container In Public -$61
- Deposit of Filth – $86
- Disorderly Conduct – $111
- Careless Driving – $91
- City Park Violations – $10
- City trespassing – $111
- Dog Running at Large – $56
- Exhibition Driving – $66
- Parking in Handicapped Zone – $100
- Reckless Driving – Custody Arrest
- Truck Routes Violations – $91
- Use of Sound Amplification Device – Court Appearance Req.
- Driving on bike path/sidewalk – $111
- Cancelled License – $144
- Violation of Restricted License – $94
- Revoked Drivers License – Custody Arrest
- Furnish Alcohol to Minor – Court Appearance Req.
- Open Container in Motor Vehicle – $94
- Possess of Controlled Substance – Custody Arrest
- Possess of Drug Paraphernalia – $244
- Possess of Marijuana – Custody Arrest
- Possess of Substances for High Abuse (Distribution) – Custody Arrest
- Underage Alcohol Poss/Consump – Court Appearance Req.
- (Continued) in Motor Vehicle – Court Appearance Req.
- Underage Purchase of Cigarettes – $69
- State Motorcycle Laws
- Carrying Loaded or Uncased Gun – Custody Arrest
- Cyclists Overtaking in Same Ln – $94
- Eye Protection Required – $20
- Helmet Required (under age 18) – $94
- Illegal Handlebar Height – $20
- Operation W/O Motorcycle Endorse -$94
From KOTA Territory News: Due to the expected increased traffic volumes during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, and the anticipated reduced operating speeds, speed limits will be reduced on the following highways effective TODAY (Friday, July 24).
Interstate 90 speed limit will be reduced from 75 mph to 65 mph from west of the Deadwood Avenue Exit 55 in Rapid City to east of the Lazelle Street Exit 30 in Sturgis.
Highways 34 and 79 also have changes that may last well in to mid-August.
Read the full story on kotatv.com: South Dakota backs off speed limits for Sturgis Rally.
This event will be held on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at Western Dakota Tech (WDT) from 12:00pm to 5:00pm. This event is open to active duty, veterans, spouses, and work ready dependents.
We will have local and national employers and helping agencies signed up. You do not have to register to attend.
You can view the updated list of employers at the following link: